CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR JUNIOR ASSOCIATES
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
Prospective Applicants should note that our office address is at Plot 48 Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos State and are advised to take the distance into cognizance before any intention to apply.
- ABOUT US
- You can read about us and what we do here
- Our Managing Solicitor is also the President/Founder of a Non-governmental Organization (NGO) known as Peoples’ Rights Enlightenment and Awareness Initiative (PREAWIN). This is an NGO devoted primarily to advocacy and protection of the basic rights of Nigerian citizens. You can read more about this NGO here
- We are equally the promoters of an online forum for Nigerian lawyers. You may check out the forum here.
- This position is to enable Junior Associates work independently in order to develop themselves in the legal profession, with real practical experience. In addition, the above summary will signify to all intending applicants that they need to be fully ICT compliant.
- Presently, vacancy exists for lawyers for appointment as Junior Associates. The selected candidate will be required to work for our law firm, the NGO and be the moderator of our online forum, in the attainment of our set objectives.
- Interested candidates must, however, take our core areas of practice into consideration before making an application. You can read more about our core areas of practice here.You must be convinced and convincing that your flair and aspirations tally with our areas of specialization.
- Of course, we do take on briefs and instructions in other areas of law practice too, so long as it is within our competence.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- The ideal candidate will be a young lawyer with post-qualification experience (PQE) of between 2 – 5 years.
- In addition to other requirements, the ideal candidate:
- Must have been called to the Nigerian Bar;
- Must have his/her name on the Roll of legal Practitioners in Nigeria;
- Must be a lawyer in good standing;
- Must have paid the current Bar Practicing Fee as at the time of making his/her application;
- Must be very familiar with the laws, practice and procedure of the courts in Lagos State. Previous work experience in Lagos State is an advantage;
- Must have a flair for litigation and advocacy;
- Good practice experience in litigation and advocacy is an advantage;
- Must be able to handle litigation on his/her own;
- Must possess good ICT, especially typing skills in preparing his/her own processes;
- (Fluency in Yoruba language may be an added advantage).
SCHEDULE OF DUTIES
- For the law firm, the selected candidate, under the direction of a designated senior colleague, will be required to undertake the following tasks, amongst others, namely:
- Appear in court in all matters involving litigation, either solely or with another Counsel;
- Conduct research and present legal opinions on pending or new matters;
- Attend to clients and proffer proper legal advice on legal issues;
- Draft, file and present originating processes, motions, briefs, written addresses, legal arguments and all other court processes;
- Draft all other documents including agreements, deeds, memoranda, letters, etc;
- Conduct relevant searches and other legal assignments at the Land Registries;
- Undertake company and allied matters at the CAC;
- Perform all other official tasks as assigned.
- As regards the NGO, the selected candidate shall be exposed to the full operations of the NGO and be required to participate fully and actively in its activities, in addition to legal matters and appearances in courts. Specifically, the candidate will be required to perform the following functions, amongst others, viz.:
- Attend to all complaints and cases of rights infringement, whether such cases or complaints arise from members of the NGO or from third parties;
- Solely or in conjunction with other staff member(s) be required to do all or any of the following things, namely:
- Participate in the organization of our NGO’s lecture series, meetings, events, workshops, conferences; trainings, consultations and other public enlightenment campaigns and programs on human rights for members of our NGO as well as the Nigerian Populace.
- Provide all legal support to the NGO’s Program Managers and Secretariat as required.
- Prepare and document human rights violations in Nigeria and respond to queries from our partners, donors, media and colleagues in the human rights community.
- Interact with the members of the NGO and members of the public via the social media, by proffering legal advice and opinions as required.
- To carry out any other duty as directed.
- As regards the online forum for Nigerian Lawyers, the selected candidate:
- Will serve as a Moderator of the online forum, to ensure users and contents are in compliance with out visions;
- Source for and populate the forum with legal materials for the benefits of users.
- Any other duty as directed.
- Pay per month = SIXTY THOUSAND NAIRA (N60,000.00) only.
- Appearance fees/transport fares for Court Matters in Lagos = N1,000.00. – N2,000.00, depending on location
- Appearances in matters outside Lagos State = To be determined per case.
- Transport fares in other official matters = to be determined by distance.
- All remunerations are for a contract period of Twenty-four (24) months, which period may be reviewed, reduced, terminated or extended subject to Counsel’s satisfactory performance, and determined entirely at Management’s discretion with or without any prior notice.
DURATION OF CONTRACT:
- The contract shall be for an initial duration of Twenty-four (24) Months.
- At or before the end of this period, Management reserves the exclusive right to offer any Junior Associate a contract extension or not, depending on satisfactory performance by the Junior Associate, and this is to be determined solely by Management.
- The Management also reserves the right to terminate the contract at any time before the expiration of this period, with or without any prior notice.
- Monday to Friday = 8.00a.m. to 6.00p.m. daily,
- Bank holidays exempted.
- Please note that circumstances may occasionally warrant working beyond and outside the office hours or on weekends and holidays where it is unavoidably necessary, or due to the exigencies of the particular situation.
- Appointment is FULL TIME, hence no allowance is made at all for private practice by Junior Associates.
- ABSOLUTE CONFIDENTIALITY of clients’ matters is required, in line with statutory provisions.
- ABSOLUTE HONESTY, DEDICATION TO DUTY, TRANSPARENCY AND EFFECTIVE CLIENTS MANAGEMENT are of utmost importance and are therefore required.
- Whilst every effort is made to provide necessary research facilities in the office, Junior Associates may be required to avail themselves of other public research facilities like the high court libraries, digital applications, etc.
- Ability to work with little or no supervision is a desirable asset.
Method of Application
If you meet the requirements as stated above, you may send your Cover Note and CV by email to email@example.com.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- *While the above-mentioned conditions of service represent the basis upon which the Firm will treat, accepting the conditions does not constitute a contract. An appropriate offer of appointment in writing will be made to selected candidates only.
- *The above conditions of service are not exhaustive, and are subject to periodic reviews by the Firm with or without prior notice.