Tag: Advisers

Wish to live legally in Canada? There are many avenues available to you.

There are many legal avenues to emigrate to Canada and live legally. Some of these avenues include the following:

  1. Immigrate (Express Entry) – The Canadian Federal and Provincial Governments have many Express Entry programs for foreign nationals wishing to settle and live in Canada. There are currently over 60 programs available. But the most appropriate program for you will depend on your background, training/knowledge or goals.

Under the Express Entry, there are many categories for professionals and workers. Some of these include the Federal Skilled workers Program, Provincial Nomination Programs, the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Self-Employed Program, etc.

  1. Work – You can work and live legally in Canada if you have a work permit. Of course, it is common knowledge that Canada is in need of a workforce, but this doesn’t mean that you must not follow the legally stimulated procedure. Generally, to work in Canada, you require a work permit. And this work permit is almost always issued by the Canadian High Commission/Embassy of your country.

There are, however, certain persons who may not need a work permit in Canada, and these include Business Visitors, Military Personnel, Performing Artists, Athletes and Team Members, News Reporter, Clergy, Public Speakers, Health care students, etc.

  1. Study – You may study and live in Canada. But forget about the hype; you must obtain a Study Permit which will be issued by the High Commission/Embassy of your country.

You are also allowed to work while you study in Canada, for a number of hours per week.

But the major advantage in studying in Canada is that the system allows you to work after graduation. It is called Post-Graduation Work Permit. Under this scheme, you may stay and work in Canada for up to three years after you graduation under an open work permit. The experience you gain here may come useful if you decide to settle permanently.

  1. Business – There are several options available for business persons, investors or managers to live and work permanently in Canada. The Canadian and Provincial Governments offer a variety of options that may fast-track your immigration process.

The most appropriate business class option for you will depend on a number of factors, including your net worth, the Province of your intended settlement, your experience, etc.

  1. Family sponsorship – If you have a family member who is a citizen or permanent resident in Canada, he may sponsor your immigration. However, the relationship category allowed for sponsorship is limited to spouses and common-law partners, parents, grandparents, and dependent children.

There is also the Super Visa program which allows the parents and Grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to come to Canadian as visitors for two consecutive years at their initial visit without having to renew their status. Of course, you do not have work rights under this Super Visa option but the visa can remain valid for up to 10 years, allowing for re-entry during this period.